The area that we live in is some what rural. There are many farmers here and from what I can tell most are dairy farmers. Anyway, there is an abundance of cows! I don't think that it is too far of a stretch to say that the people here LOVE their cows. And if the saying, "Great cheese comes from happy cows" is true, then the cows here in the Allgau are the happiest of all. The milk, butter and cheese have got to be the best I have ever tried. Even Cy and Lore Mae (both never liked to drink milk) love it! We eat bread just to have an excuse to eat butter. (I know, it is ridiculous.)
The cows are everywhere. There are some that are herded, by a kid on a bicycle, up and down our street sometimes twice a day. And you never know when traffic may be stopped because they are crossing the intersection.
FYI: they all wear bells, so you can hear them coming from a mile away.
Back in September we attended Viescheid. This is a celebration of the cows coming home from the alpine fields (they spend the summer months up on the mountains). The cows are paraded down into the village with much pomp and circumstance. Everyone dresses in traditional costumes, dirndls (ladies) and lederhosen (men); the kids are let out of school early; there is plenty of schnitzel and beer; live music and even a Milch Prinzessin (milk princess).
The only draw back of so many cows everywhere is the smell!! We noticed it when we first came for the information trip in July. We thought that after being here for a while that we would get used to it. Not a chance. Some days are better than others, but on a clear, warm day it can literally knock you down. And to top it off, they collect the manure and then spread it all over the fields as fertilizer. I guess that is why everything is so green. I have had to catch myself a couple of times on walks when I have wanted to bust out my best Julie Andrews impression with "The Hills are Alive" and then thought about what exactly the hills are alive with. Did not want to bring home more than just the "essence" of cow poop.
Even with the aroma this is still one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. And it makes me laugh when I roll down the car window and Cy says, "What's that smell?" Yes everytime...he is so predictable!
Bis später, haben ein gutes Wochenende.
No comments:
Post a Comment